Monday, March 29, 2010

“Normal” Can Change




Life here is starting to take on some sort of normalcy at times. For that we are very encouraged and I am somewhat surprised. I guess I thought we would eventually view our lives here as normalizing but I just didn't think it would be this soon. Don't misunderstand and think that I am saying we are fully settled. That is absolutely not true. What I mean is just that the newness and differences are now taking on some sort of familiarity. For that I am thankful and excited. For example, I had about 5 hours with Alex and Cameron to get 5 things done and when I completed all 5 in that amount of time, it really was an accomplishment. I felt like I had a successful and relatively efficient day. The 5 things were: haircut for Cameron, flip flops for both of the boys, 2 light bulbs, flea/tick collar and a few groceries. Back in the states I would have run to Walmart or Target and been done…45 min to an hour tops. Here, 5 hours is a successful day because for 5 things you may need to go to 6-8 places or maybe more. In short, so many things that were normal or taken for granted have to be re-learned and now seen through the filter of where we live now. Another example of that is driving. I have used the example of watching an anthill after it is kicked to compare to the traffic here. Everybody drives in a way that allows them to get to where they want to go the quickest. It may mean cutting someone else off, going the wrong way on a street or just driving through an intersection when it is not their turn. Most, if not all, of these moves would earn someone showing you the universal sign of displeasure in the states but there isn't any road rage here. People just understand that that is how things go here. It is part of the pulse of the traffic here. Inside I can be saying "what is he thinking? It isn't his turn!", but slowly I am learning understand and join them where they are at instead of being the one non-conformist (besides, I really didn't have a choice).

However, in the midst of these things we have found joy and peace. Not because of the differences but in spite of them. We have embraced the differences although not always enjoying them. In almost everything we have found beauty and something to enjoy. Here is a great example: the dirty air. Phnom Penh has very dirty air. There is a lot of pollution from all of the cars (mostly diesel) and motos…in the city. That is compounded by the fact that most streets surrounding the city as well as quite a few within the city are dirt. This combination causes a lot of particulates in the air. So you can look at it as an annoyance and nuisance, which it definitely can be. The other option is to look for the positive you receive from it: beautiful sunsets almost every night. With the risk of sounding "Pollyanna-ish", it really is an amazing thing. Blessings!

1 comment: