Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Non-Contradiction





A moto isn't usually the best place to have a meaningful conversation so they don't usually happen there. However, that doesn't keep me from trying every once in a while. So a couple of days ago I picked Calli up from school on the moto and on our way home I decided to try and connect with how she was doing. So I asked her a couple of simple questions which ended up with her giving simple and profound answers. It just so happened that her answers sum up very well how we all feel. The questions I asked were: "What is your most favorite and least favorite parts about living in Cambodia?" She thought for a minute and replied: "My favorite thing about living here is how everything is so different from what I am used to...and my least favorite part about living here is that everything is so different." Those answers seemingly contradict but I totally feel the same way. I absolutely love the differences and cherish them at times. Other times, when all of them seem to be screaming at me at the same time, I can't stand them and just want something to be familiar. The neat thing is, things are beginning to feel familiar here. Whether it be running into people you know in the city, understanding the price of an item when it is given to you in Khmai or just recognizing and waving at friendly neighborhood faces while on a run. The ratio of familiar to un-familiar is still tipped way in the balance of "un" but regardless, we can see God taking care of our wants and needs on a daily basis by making us feel more and more comfortable here. There are still hard times (you get those anywhere) but none of us have ever looked back and wished we would not have moved. What a huge answer to prayer. Blessings!

I added some random shots from our time here so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment