Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Anonymity




One of the things that has particularly struck me here in Phnom Penh is that no matter where we go in the city, anonymity is nearly impossible. Why? We stick out like a sore thumb...really. Although there are many westerners here, the overall percentage is very low. The way this plays out practically is really quite comical at times. For example, we can be driving in our van and we will look out our windows and everyone around us are unapologetically staring at us. And when we make eye contact and smile they just continue staring. Another time I had stopped by a little place to get my motorcycle washed. I sat down at a small table to read while waiting. About a minute after I sat down a man sat down in front of me about 3 feet away and just stared at me. He continued even as I looked up periodically and made eye contact. A few months ago this would have seemed weird to me but I am somewhat used to it now.
All of this is compounded by the fact that we are starting to show up at the same places over and over again. People are beginning to realize that this American family is here indefinitely. I love that. This has all caused me to reflect on why we are here. We are certainly engaging here with ministry as a vocation but I am not so sure that our ministry apart from vocation won't be more profound and impactful. What I mean is, our lack of anonymity here means that no matter where we are...it could be in the middle of hundreds of people in the most crowded market in Phnom Penh...we are being watched by dozens of people. Our attitudes and actions towards them and each other transcend the language barrier communicate a lot about who we are and what we represent. As God's word says, "they will know that you are Christians by your love". I looked but I haven't found anywhere in the bible that says "they will know you are Christians by how often you go to church" or "if you uproot your family for ministry" or "by how much you give...etc". So please pray for us as we begin to become more and more a part of the landscape here that as a family we will represent our Creator in a manner worthy of His name. Thank you so much for joining us on this journey. By the way, all of the pictures are from our "back to school" shopping today.

No comments:

Post a Comment