Monday, February 15, 2010

The Moto





So we finally became independently mobile. We purchased a moto last weekend. Before I let you know how it all happened let me fill you in on motos real quick. Motos are to Phnom Penh as ants are to picnics. They are as plentiful and look equally as random in their traffic patterns. Since they are so small, agile and quick, they don't seem to feel the need to observe a lot of the traffic laws. Going the wrong way down streets, not stopping for red lights...etc. What are we getting ourselves into? So anyway, Alex and I set out last Saturday to look at a moto. We both hopped on to the back of a moto that a Christian Khmai man was driving. He works with a OMF (Overseas Missionary Fellowship) here and has a lot of insight on where to get good deals on motos. So he took us to a "dealership" in toward the middle of the city. We looked at one the owner of the shop had in mind for us (pre-arranged by the man taking us there) and it seemed like a very reliable one. We settled on a price that was very good and after graciously declining an offer from the shop owner to have "Chinese New Year" dinner with he and his family, Alex and I were off. Now is the time I should tell you that the last time I drove a motorcycle was about 25 years ago. It was a small one that we used to buzz around my grandpas farm on. Now is also the time I should mention that for Alex and I to reach the helmet shop, we have to drive on what may be arguably Phnom Penh's busiest street. With that context, imagine us entering traffic. I am sure it was interesting to say the least. Two caucasian males, no helmets riding a moto in a less than impressive way. Nonetheless, we reached our destination and purchased 2 helmets. Since then we have had one stolen, re-purchased and then purchased a helmet that fits Cameron so he can ride as well. It has really helped as we don't have to rely on tuk tuks as much (although we do have to use one when the whole family is going anywhere). It comes in very handy though for running to the store, date nights for Carolyn and Me, bringing one kid to school for an activity...etc. In fact, today Carolyn, Cameron and I rode it deep into the city for some errands. It can be a little nerve racking at times but as I am getting more used to driving it, the nerves get a little rest. Now my nerves are focusing on Alex as he is learning how to drive it. Makes me thankful we are all in God's hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment