Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Finally!





Well, we made it…finally! It did take a while but at last we touched down in Phnom Penh at 9:05 a.m. local time on Wednesday, almost exactly 23 hours after our original flight would have landed. Since the last post, we had an almost 10 hour flight, followed by an 8 hour layover and then a 1 ¼ hour flight. The flight from Narita to Singapore seemed very long, compounded by everything that had happened the night before. I caught myself thinking, "so I waited in line, spent a lot of time on the phone listening to elevator music and jumped through countless hoops just to sit in an uncomfortable seat with my knees up to my chest all while eating something that somewhere before it made it to me, had passed as food." Lines are for roller coasters and other fun carnival rides not for self induced torture. While that thought really did pass through my mind, it actually wasn't that bad at all. We made it to Chainga airport in Singapore and had a great time trying to fill 8 hours of otherwise boring time: from about 12:15 until about 8:15 when we finally boarded the last leg of our trip. The flight to Cambodia was short and sweet. We got our visas with no real problem. In fact someone with airport security was waiting as we walked off the plane with a sign for us and a packet with our visas. And then another one took Cameron's passport and pretended to not give it back. And yet another one was saying to his co-worker "those are the 'ahlins'" or some derivative thereof. Needless to say we felt welcomed. We were met just outside by Joe and Rene Hansen, the tireless house parents of the boy's home We hung out with them for a while and one of the most exciting parts was that I was able to do a fair amount of driving in the city. With this traffic, I was a little nervous but mostly excited and it went great. Can't wait to get back out there tomorrow and do it again. Also toured the new school. All in all, a good day. I am putting a few pics on and will hopefully follow up with more as the days. I will post more lately…a little sleepy from some jet lag.

.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah! So glad that you made it. Enjoy taking in the new world around you. After living in Bolivia for almost 6 months now, we still look at each other sometimes and say, "Can you believe we really LIVE here?" Hope you are all able to rest and recover from your amazing journey! Look forward to more pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey! so glad u guys made it safely and I will be praying for y'all! have fun!!!
    ~ Grace Evans :*

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that you guys made it there safely . I can so agree with what Jennie said . After being here almost 9 months , David and I still say, "Can you believe the we really LIVE here?" too.... can't wait to watch and read the things the Lord has for you all in the years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you made it and I know everything will go great for you all, You are all awake at the same time as me and that's not true for everyone over here, so it's nice to know people I care about so much are up at the same time. I'm excited for you.

    Monica

    ReplyDelete